The busy professionals guide to changing your Linkedin Profile Image / Photo
If you’re wondering why you should change your profile photo then this article on what your profile photo says about you might give help sway you to at least consider it.
Now – down to brass tacks on the how-to – in 5 minutes or less here it is:
FYI – you can currently add or change your profile photo from desktop or Android or iOS mobile device (not Windows-mobile or other mobile – sorry!).
To add or change a photo from desktop:
- Move your cursor over Profile at the top of your homepage and select Edit Profile.
- Move your cursor over your photo and select Change photo.
From here, you can:
- Change the position and size by dragging the yellow square.
- Choose what your preview photo will look like.
- Change your profile photo by clicking Change photo.
- Select the photo you would like and click Open.
- Click Upload Photo.
- Select who you want the photo to be visible to.
- Click Save.
To add or change a photo from an Android- or iOS-driven smartphone:
- Open the LinkedIn app.
- Tap the in logo in the top left.
- Tap your profile photo below the Home section.
- Tap your profile photo again (it should have a camera icon in bottom left).
- Tap either Take a Photo or Choose a Photo (for Android devices) or Choose from Library (for iPhones).
NB: it isn’t possible to edit using an iPad app – you need to use the regular Linkedin site or either of the mobile apps as detailed above (as applicable for your device).
Specifications for Linkedin Profile Photos
As at writing, profile photos need to comply with the following specifications:
- JPG, GIF or PNG files
- <10MB in file size
- the ideal pixel size for your photo is between 400 x 400 and 20,000 x 20,000 px. If either width or height exceeds 20,000 pixels, your photo will not upload.
If you need to resize your photo then there are many free image resizing programs available. One I use often is picresize – it’s both free and ‘safe’.
Please feel free to visit my Linkedin profile page to start modelling your profile on mine.